Hi Secret Agents!
We’re doing our best to secure and scale Secret Chat! It’s self hosted (Rocket.chat), well organized, and has been pretty effective for our purposes. However, there have been a few requests to explore other channels as well - including Discord. We need a single obvious home for our critical developer, node operator, and committee communities. And we need to decide if it will be here or another platform!
In my mind the priorities for any platform we choose should be:
- clear, obvious, and active home for developer / node support
- easy for committees to collaborate and create
- very high engagement (minutely basis, not daily)
- easy onboarding of new community members
Looking at the primary choices for channels, there are some pros and cons.
Pros of Secret Chat:
- self hosted and easily manageable
- open source
Cons of Secret Chat:
- challenging UX (esp on mobile)
- standalone server (have to sign up separately, not use existing logins)
Pros of Discord
- easy to assign roles
- better channel visibility / discovery
- ez bots for administration
Cons of Discord
- no threads (yet)
- hard to start private channels / DMs
- 3rd party platform
I want to start an open discussion here for anyone who would have a strong preference one way or the other. Please add your thoughts on other pros / cons. Generally speaking I’m for channel consolidation, but this would be a very important decision.