Secret Chat Migration? [DISCUSS]

Hi Secret Agents!

We’re doing our best to secure and scale Secret Chat! It’s self hosted (Rocket.chat), well organized, and has been pretty effective for our purposes. However, there have been a few requests to explore other channels as well - including Discord. We need a single obvious home for our critical developer, node operator, and committee communities. And we need to decide if it will be here or another platform!

In my mind the priorities for any platform we choose should be:

• clear, obvious, and active home for developer / node support
  • easy for committees to collaborate and create
  • very high engagement (minutely basis, not daily)
  • easy onboarding of new community members

Looking at the primary choices for channels, there are some pros and cons.

Pros of Secret Chat:

• self hosted and easily manageable
  • open source

Cons of Secret Chat:

• challenging UX (esp on mobile)
  • standalone server (have to sign up separately, not use existing logins)

Pros of Discord

• easy to assign roles
  • better channel visibility / discovery
  • ez bots for administration

Cons of Discord

• no threads :cry: (yet)
  • hard to start private channels / DMs
  • 3rd party platform

I want to start an open discussion here for anyone who would have a strong preference one way or the other. Please add your thoughts on other pros / cons. Generally speaking I’m for channel consolidation, but this would be a very important decision.

Thanks!

1 Like

I feel like Discord probably wins out just for sheer engagement levels. Yes, it’s nice to have threaded convos on Rocket Chat, but I feel like you need to go where the people are.

1 Like

Although there is no perfect solution, I vote Discord because of the existing user base, ease of use with the desktop and mobile app and channel segmentation. I use Discord with other crypto projects and it seems to work good enough.

1 Like

Slack is not viable to me because it doesn’t have open signups. (Strongly dominated by Discord / Rocket on all metrics except UX)

Riot / Matrix is viable but I don’t see enough advantages over the current Rocket.chat.

We have something like 8,500 users already in our Discord - https://discord.com/invite/SJK32GY

Not sure there are any other viable options. We require channel management for this to be successful. Telegram is nice for an always-on high-level community chat but it’s terrible for organization / coordination.

i always felt that discord and rocket chat were to organized. it was so spread out that it felt empty.

are multiple telegram rooms an option?

This has been tried and it’s failed. Discoverability and organization is nearly impossible.

Remember the principles:

• clear, obvious, and active home for developer / node support
  • easy for committees to collaborate and create
  • very high engagement (minutely basis, not daily)
  • easy onboarding of new community members

Telegram is good for stream of consciousness (sometimes onboarding as well) and bad for everything else.

1 Like

I’ve really come to appreciate RocketChat and the current setup - but I am guessing for new users RocketChat may be more unfamiliar/not as easy to return to compared to discord. Thus, my vote is for discord, even though this old cat doesn’t like changing locations so often.

2 Likes

I vote for Discord.

Reasons as stated by @tor

• Easy management, we can build channel sections and more tools.
  • Plus community can boost discord as much as they want, rather than a single entity consuming cost to maintain and sustain it.
  • Also secret community meetings can be done on discord through the channels ( :eyes: ), effectively rendering jitsi and maintaining jitsi redundant.

The one con with Discord threads should soon be gone, as Discord has teased multiple times that threads are coming #soon ( i would speculate before end of year but that’s just me).

Rocket chat is ok for smaller teams, but I have noticed large lags with increased usage by multiple people.

1 Like

We vote for Discord as well.
Most projects that were using rocket, slack, element, etc. they moved to discord for it usability.
Roles, channel arrangements, 3rd party integrations, easy to join server, mobile app, desktop app, no lag, etc.
The first setup will take a bit of time, but after that only need to select roles, which can be automated too.
It can hold “secret” chats :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Discord wins hands down

1 Like

oh man finally
i actually use discord
wooo

1 Like

Was also hung up on threads initially, but discord ftw

1 Like

I’m only familiar with discord, so my vote is quite biased :joy:

1 Like

Discord, Discord, Discord, Discord

1 Like

Discord

Discord

Discord

1 Like

Last chance for anyone to speak in favor of keeping the Rocket.chat.