[Troubleshooting Guide] Error: SGX driver not found

For anyone having issues with SGX. in particular this error

Error: SGX driver not found. Run in simulation mode instead with:

I have found a way to correctly determine the status of SGX, by running a few commands and troubleshooting scenarios. While I can speculate why this error is happening (due to motherboard manufacturers). I do not know this for a fact as theres very little information available through intel and on the internet for this particular issue, therefor I will leave out a conclusion on why this error happens.

run:

dmesg | grep -i sgx

If response is nothing
Then its likely that your BIOS is not set correctly… In this case, you would need to “cycle” your bios settings, then reinstall linux-sgx. By cycle, this means, going from its current state (even if its enabled) to disabled, reboot, enable, reboot, Then start your install.

If response is like the following :

isgx: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
intel_sgx: SGX is not enabled

Then I suggest starting a fresh install of ubuntu and using Secretnodes.org’s install guide after following the above “cycling process”.

If response is like the follow #2:

isgx: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
isgx: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
intel_sgx: Intel SGX Driver v2.5.0
intel_sgx INT0E0C:00: EPC bank 0x0000000-0x30000000
intel_sgx: second initialization call skipped

Then all is fine and you should then be able to run the secretnodes.org’s script with no issues.

4 Likes