Keplr Wallet AMA

Happy to answer any questions regarding QoS / endpoint operations / financials / etc.

I feel like there has been a huge misunderstanding of how Keplr supports Secret Network (in regards to cost, dev resources), so I’ve went ahead and created this thread.

Send your questions my way!

7 Likes

Hey Josh,
happy to have you here :smiling_face: .

Can you see Keplr supporting the Secret Ledger App (see: https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/6094079699357-Secret-SCRT-?docs=true) ? We can to do the whole implementation for Keplr if needed to take off all of the workload from your team.

Thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Has there ever been a request to purchase certain tokens (e.g OSMO) in exchange for implementation of a feature? If so, what’s the pricing like?

Secondly, how do you approach proposals where a dev offers to do the implementation (like Alex above)?

Thirdly, it would be helpful to understand what’s the current API infrastructure that Keplr uses and what (if anything) has been discussed to potentially reduce the load on API nodes (i.e number of queries).

Thanks!

2 Likes

hey @SecretSaturn,

Keplr traditionally had the stance that minimizing changing Ledger apps as cross-chain interactions increase is better UX. I’ve taken a look at the Ledger app, and it seems like current changes only do message string replacement (which is good!), but nothing specific to Secret Network.

Also, we want to ensure that with future upgrades/updates (i.e. other sign modes like Sign Mode Textual) will be continued to be supported by the Secret Saturn team with client-breaking upgrades to the SDK.

Thoughts on these?

1 Like
  1. Has there ever been a request to purchase certain tokens (e.g OSMO) in exchange for implementation of a feature? If so, what’s the pricing like?

No (if what you mean is we’ve requested chains to purchase a token for implementation). More specific to Secret Network, the only funding we’ve received is a community pool spend proposal in 2020. While the deliverables outlined in the proposal were completed in early 2021, we’ve continued to work with Secret Labs / other community entities for feature updates, library upgrades, monitoring, etc at no extra cost to Secret Network.

Secondly, how do you approach proposals where a dev offers to do the implementation (like Alex above)?

It large depends. We’ve had several cases where we’ve worked with external contributors on implementing new features. That being said, we’ve honestly had mixed results. Some cases, it’s a one-time thing that requires little to no maintenance. In some cases, the maintenance overhead of working with external contributions on features turned out to be a lot higher than expected, and Keplr often has to pick up the work.

We try to balance being open to external contributions. However, we do pick and choose what/how we work on things to ensure that feature maintenance/support continues beyond the initial implementation.

Thirdly, it would be helpful to understand what’s the current API infrastructure that Keplr uses and what (if anything) has been discussed to potentially reduce the load on API nodes (i.e number of queries).

We use a load balanced endpoint provided by Secret Labs (with various community endpoints behind them). We allocate internal resources on monitoring network issues and notify relevant parties, but uptimes of each of these nodes are unfortunately out of our control. That being said, I believe Secret Network has some grpc-gateway patches that we can work together on implementing on the Keplr side which hopefully improves QoS.

3 Likes

Hey @josh-chainapsis ,

yes you saw that correctly, changes are only mainly string replacements and having a the non-expert mode available for users. We also changed the BIP 44 Cointype of the Ledger App to Secret Network’s original 529 (from the 118 in cosmos) to unify paper wallets and the Ledger Wallets, that’s the only “major” change in that sense.

Changes that we implement only (also in the future) enhance Secret Network’s experience while maintaining full backward-compability to the original Cosmos Ledger App.
For future upgrades we will still keep everything as close as possible to the original Cosmos Ledger app (done by Zondax.ch) to ensure that we don’t have any client-breaking upgrades to the SDK.

2 Likes

Thank you for the concise answers!

1 Like

@josh-chainapsis would it be possible to get the following features added to Keplr:

● Add the ability to add an already created viewing key to keplr (allows users to approve more than one transaction during the Keplr pop-up)
● Add the ability for Keplr to query private balances using permits

This would drastically improve UI/UX (opens up multi-execute nested transactions). We are willing/happy to create this PR as an external collaborator :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks @josh-chainapsis for this thread.

How do you guys feel about this situation?

To your original post, how does keplr work with secret in re to costs and dev resources? What can the community do to improve this and take to the next level.

—-
Q:
Keplr support for mobile web browsers is super important for dapps to increase adoption - are there any serious plans to accommodate this or not really interested. (Or perhaps I’m missing something)

Thanks