Community Introductions Thread! (Ongoing)

Hi all! Welcome to the Enigma Developers Forum :slight_smile:

This thread is for introductions, whether you’re just joining the community or have been active for a while. Feel free to be personal or extremely vague - either way, we’re glad you’re here and participating!

My name is Tor - I’m the Head of Growth and Marketing for Enigma, primarily based in Chicago, USA. I’m a musician and writer, I like solving problems with data and design, and I still play Ultimate Frisbee whenever the weather allows. I host Enigma’s podcast, Decentralize This! I also have two majestic cats.

I’m always thinking about the best ways to expand our project and community, so don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any suggestions or thoughts :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi @tor! I’m Ainsley Sutherland, and I work on the product team here at Enigma.
I’m normally based in SF, and happy to get a coffee & talk crypto if you’re also there or just passing through.

I care a lot about usability and accessibility in decentralized applications, and I think p2p, user-owned technology is going to be transformative. My background is in economics, AI, and emerging technologies.

some ~ fun facts…~
I have the highest reddit karma of our team (that we know of). This is not really something I’m proud of. :grimacing:
I don’t have any cats (I think Tor has enough cats for the whole team). :cat2:
Before Enigma, I started a VR company enabling multi-user 3d audio-annotations in a virtual environment, that now works on accessibility tech :studio_microphone:

9 Likes

I’m Laura, and I’m an Enigma Collective member and really excited to get more involved with the dev community and the Enigma project.

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, not far from Canada or Chicago. Occasionally I’m over on the east coast in the Washington, DC area to see friends and relatives.

I love doing abstract artwork and programming. Any opportunity I can get to be by the water is a wonderful day :smiley:.

I’m passionate about blockchain and how it’s going to transform our lives in ways I don’t fully understand yet. In June I graduated with a Blockchain Developer Nanodegree from Udacity. My background is 20+ years of software experience with roles in architecture, design, code, integration, and test.

12 Likes

Hi! I’m Steve, from London, UK. I’m not a developer, just an interested hodler of the ENG token, looking forward to seeing where this wave of decentralised web technology takes us. I’m a writer by trade; over the years I’ve written about everything from TV to technology to travel to trends!

8 Likes

And I’m Taariq from Cape Town South Africa.
Like Laura I’m an Enigma Collective member who loves to be by the water.
Also have 20 years software experience, coding Java, python, javascript and solidity. I’m currently enjoying learning Rust too.

I don’t have majestic cats, but here’s some majestic fish.

7 Likes

Wow @taariq! That would be a great pic for your Collective profile!

4 Likes

Hello wonderful people!

My name is Franklin and I recently joined the Enigma Collective :sunny:
This is so amazing opportunity because I get to learn on so many things and grow on so many levels as a person.

A friend of mine, whom I look up to as he gets so much crazy stuff done and goes to all parts of the world having crazy experiences, answered my question on how he managed all that with: " Be in a supportive environment, if your not find one and if you cannot find one build one". Such a golden advice in my opinion. The reason why I am sharing this is because that is what the Enigma Collective symbolizes for me, a super supportive environment. Really encourages to think big and go out there and get things done when your part of a group that is so talented and simply awesome.

Alongside being part of the Enigma journey I am an AI undergraduate living in Amsterdam and I hobby organize a mutual improvement group that is one of the catalysts for small and fun projects in my personal life. Also I love Music, food and nature.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can help you with something or if your passing through Amsterdam, or living in Amsterdam, and want to meet for a coffee to talk Enigma !

7 Likes

Hello!

My name is Greg, and I’m a blockchain neophyte who, after spending the first 3 months in the space watching and learning, have decided to move in a direction that appears to have value and looks like an excellent learning opportunity.

Background:

• BS in Ceramic Engineering (capacitors, fuel cells, advanced oxides).
  • Previous programming experience - Pascal and FORTRAN
  • Interested in blockchain applications dealing with public and private contracts, data science, and AI where applicable. Love the concept of employing metrics in applications/data collection where possible.
  • Built a few mining rigs, mined a few coins, set up a few wallets - and thankfully am now disabused of the delusions of ‘mooning’, lambos, 100x pumps, blah blah. I guess I initially came for curiosity (money), but now am staying for the wisdom.

Present Engaged in:

• Courses - Introduction to Blockchain and Solidity/Ethereum, Introduction to Data Science, Introduction to MATLAB, Introduction to C Programming.

I’m eager to watch this project from the sidelines, but also want to dabble (perhaps installations and practicing on a local machine first?). The idea of setting up a node also sounds interesting. Learning Rust would be awesome (whilst I shake off my programming rust from years of disuse, pun intended).

I will go through the introductory material here and on Medium to get up to speed.

Thanks in advance! I am excited to be here in this space at this time, and believe in what Enigma is bringing to the table. I shall prove that an old dog can learn new tricks. :rofl:

Cheers,

//gpk

8 Likes

Hello and welcome, @lovechop :smile:

Great intro!!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is James Waugh, and I’m helping Enigma with developer experience and communications. I’ve been learning about Enigma’s research & product, and I’m very impressed by the intellectual rigor and quality of the team. We’re psyched to coordinate opportunities for collective growth and transparent collaboration.

My background is a combination of entrepreneurship, marketing and open-source technology. Four years ago, I started Bidio to help artists get sponsored without compromising integrity. Our team developed a marketplace for interactive ad overlays in the corner of music videos and short films. That business evolved into a digital agency offering ad-tech consultation, social media coordination, and local event production. The vision was to flip the script on YouTube (and other platforms) by letting users own and control their data.

After discovering Ethereum, we introduced a multidimensional viewToken model, forming a circular hierarchy of all viewers and creators. That resulted in my co-founder submitting ERC 888, and since then, we built an experimental network using the CRE8 protocol. This endeavor has led to various opportunities in the blockchain world, such as leading Hyperledger NYC events, attending ETHGlobal hackathons, and organizing the 2nd Rare Arts Festival.

I’m thrilled to participate in this community because Enigma represents a necessarily transformative approach to identity management. Furthermore, it’s clear how privacy issues limit adoption of Ethereum and other blockchains. Autonomy requires private computation.

You can find me in the Collective Slack or on Twitter.

Looking forward! :rocket:

6 Likes

Hey everyone,

I’m Gavin Stevens, aka Zapbbx, aka Solidcloudio, aka EscrowContract.com. I’m a long time ETH GPU miner (40 GPUs) - I founded / closed bitphone.net in 2016-2017… I really want to make a decentralized Escrow solution under EscrowContract.com

There have been plenty of other “Escrow solutions, Escrow Smart contracts” - but nothing that’s really decentralized and usable. I’ve personally needed this use case many times buying products from China, with Crypto.

You can’t build this on Ethereum because the buyer/sellers info would be public. But, with a Secret Contract that info could be encrypted and private to the transaction holders.

Anyways, I bought a book on Rust, looking to enhance my knowledge on secret contracts and prototype out this Escrow solution on the Secret network!

My bitphone exit… https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5gxej6/bitphone_so_long_and_thanks_for_all_the_bits/

4 Likes

Greetings @tor and all. THIS IS NOT MY PUBLIC PROFILE - REAL ID PRIVACY REQUESTED.

About Me:

• San Diego, California, Law Student
  • Disabled Veteran - Afghanistan - 2008 - Fleet Marine Force Corpsman for the United States Marine Corps. Purple Heart Recipient.
  • Start in crypto/blockchain/smartcontracts : I mined Bitcoin around 2010(?) for a couple of days and my friend told me that it was a scam so I stopped. Re-introduced around 2016 while attending Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego. Still working on earning 1 BTC on a limited income and more interested in the technology.
  • Taught myself C++, Java, and HTML in high school

MY PASSIONS:

• Learning something new
  • Rule of Law
  • Helping other people
  • My cat : Baby Kitty and Service Dog coming soon at the time of this post.
  • Freedom of Information and Equal Access to the Law
  • Human Rights: religion, speech, privacy, security, access to the internet, and the alike.
  • Speculating

MY DISLIKES:

• Being unprofessional while “on duty”
  • Lack of empathy or understanding
  • “Tough Guys” and people who act like they have something to prove
  • Greed focused interest in crypto
  • Clowns, invertebrates, and the dichotomy presented in media

FAVORITE QUOTE (sorry it’s long): “To the untrained eye ego-climbing and selfless climbing may appear identical. Both kinds of climbers place one foot in front of the other. Both breathe in and out at the same rate. Both stop when tired. Both go forward when rested. But what a difference! The ego-climber is like an instrument that’s out of adjustment. He puts his foot down an instant too soon or too late. He’s likely to miss a beautiful passage of sunlight through the trees. He goes on when the sloppiness of his step shows he’s tired. He rests at odd times. He looks up the trail trying to see what’s ahead even when he knows what’s ahead because he just looked a second before. He goes too fast or too slow for the conditions and when he talks his talk is forever about somewhere else, something else. He’s here but he’s not here. He rejects the here, is unhappy with it, wants to be farther up the trail but when he gets there will be just as unhappy because then it will be “here.” What he’s looking for, what he wants, is all around him, but he doesn’t want that because it is ​ all around him. Every step’s an effort, both physically and spiritually, because he imagines his goal to be external and distant.”

Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION.

2 Likes

Amazing @LawfullyFree. Welcome to the Secret community!

I love that quote. Please post a pic of your service dog when you get him/her :smiley:. What a cool cat!

1 Like

Will do!
The puppy should be arriving within the next month or so. The plan is to train the puppy myself. Thank you for your response. If I forget, please remind me later!

2 Likes

The name is Tristan. I sell goods on discord for crypto

1 Like

Hello Tristan. I am curious as to what kind of goods you are slinging over Discord?

1 Like

Hi Im new here and have no clue what any of this is about or what I’m supposed to do. Help!