Any hardware recommendations?

If I was to get some SGX enabled computer specifically for running an Enigma node, what would you recommend? :slight_smile:

I succeeded in running enigma docker network using:
intel core i5 8400
gigabyte h370n bios version F6
ubuntu 16.04.4
kernel 4.13.0-45-generic

I am not sure if this is officially the best one when you consider some future updates, but its price is reasonable.

2 Likes

Thanks @KanaGold ! I’ve started this resource too, as others will have this question too: Intel SGX - supported machines

3 Likes

Hi, Would there be any advantages in procuring an 8th generation processor over a 6th or 7th for enigma sgx computations (maybe down the line)?

1 Like

I’m looking for a Dell Latitude laptop for my SGX development computer. Like the Latitude 13 7000 Intel i7 series, anyone using Dell (US based) laptops out there?

I’ll find it, It’s just brutal getting through Dell for specific laptop information with SGX…

1 Like

I don’t think so. Right now nodes would be selected to perform computations based on a lottery, and there’s no weight given to different processors.

This is a staking based lottery - the more you stake the higher chance you have to be selected as a worker

@petar I built a new PC recently. Its probably the most cost effective solution if you want to go for latest components on the market.

Here is my full hardware spec
1 x Intel® Core i5-8600, 3,1 GHZ (4,3 GHz Turbo Boost) socket 1151 processor
1 x GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming K3, socket 1151 motherboard
1 x SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD, 250 GB SSD
1 x Corsair 16 GB DDR4-2400 Kit
1 x be quiet! Pure Power 10 700W CM, 700 Watt

And also 1 x Thermaltake View 22 Tempered Glass Edition enclosure. Looking to pimp it with an RGB LED strip that I could mould into a pulsing Enigma logo. What do you think team?

4 Likes

Well, Dell support informed me they do not support Intel SGX whatsoever. Also got the same response from cloud platform service Vultr.

So, looks like the only safe SGX supported hardware is from Intel themselves:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/sgx

The “Intel® Platform Developers Kit for SGX” looks like a safe order, this is taking so much time locating Intel SGX supported hardware.

1 Like

You have to ask Vultr specifically about bare metal hardware. When I asked them if they supported SGX they initially said they didn’t, but then when I asked them if this was true even for bare metal hardware they said it was supported for bare metal. Here’s the message I got:

It’s $120 per month for Vultr bare metal, and it’s billed by the hour.

Some (all?) NUCs should also support SGX, and we also have a simulation mode up if you’re a developer.

I’m not sure if you all know about this but I just “discovered” it. Intel sells an SGX developer kit with a pre-enabled sgx machine all ready to go for 1300. It’s red hat instead of ubuntu but it’s all set for SGX. Specs aren’t bad either.

So I just bought the Q6UIDCSGXPDKRH Intel® Platform Developers Kit for SGX – Red Hat Enterprise
It’s the one I linked. I’ll keep you posted and probably make a series of Youtube videos on how the setup goes. I figure I’ll get a node eventually so I might as well be ready.
Channel

Which one can we use?

Do you want to rent a server or purchase a machine to run at home?

If at home the cheapest option is the Intel NUC. Any 6th, 7th or 8th gen NUC will work. If a server, cheapest option is Vultr bare metal.

Rent a server. But wonder which steps I have to taken further. Is there a manual?

There isn’t a manual yet, and the network isn’t live yet. They are going to announce two weeks before the start of the Genesis Game. That would be the time to setup the server or your home node.

This blog post contains the latest info: https://blog.enigma.co/secret-nodes-part-3-rewards-requirements-and-the-genesis-game-cfbe81dad455

So my NUC came in the mail. tiny little thing.
I hooked it all up and ran into problems with the video. I decided to dump redhat in favor of ubuntu. I’m doing that now.
It won’t have all of the cool SGX developer tools that come with the redhat installation but I think I’ll be able to adjust the resolution.