Disclosure of June 2021 OTC Event - Secret Foundation

In response to recent public accusations and allegations of “fraud," and as a part of a more general de-escalation for Secret governance, we’ve decided to publicly share an account of an unfortunate event that occurred in early 2021. We hope that after this disclosure we can collectively return to healthy collaboration as an ecosystem.

What occurred?

In Summer 2020, the Secret Foundation was created to engage in building, supporting, and scaling open-source, privacy-centric technologies that would serve the public good. To achieve its goals and operations the Foundation had an ongoing need to convert $SCRT earned from the implemented Secret Foundation Tax to $USD and other more widely accepted cryptocurrencies and stablecoins. This enabled the Foundation to pay real expenses for contractors, employees, marketing engagements, etc.

As part of the strategy to convert $SCRT to $USD and other cryptocurrencies, the Foundation engaged in occasional OTC deals selling $SCRT with longer term commitments and lock-ups to the network rather than selling $SCRT on exchange. To be clear, Secret Foundation has never directly sold any $SCRT on any exchange. Using OTC allowed the Foundation to fund sustainable operations while avoiding significant problems with low liquidity of exchange pairs. Market dumping large amounts of tokens only serves to hinder growth.

During early 2021, community member Brendan Kittredge (a committee lead and long-time contributor) introduced the Foundation to numerous counterparties and helped secure some interest in OTC, beginning in the month of February. A few months later, Brendan Kittredge and the SF engaged with a counterparty impersonating a legitimate VC over the course of multiple Telegram and Discord conversations who was interested in buying 200,000 $SCRT. At first, everything seemed to be legitimate and that the parties were interested in a long term commitment to the network. Even so, it was policy to always proceed with caution.

When it was time to exchange $SCRT for $USDC, the agreement was that Brendan would serve as an escrow until funds were received, thus avoiding any chance $SCRT would be sent without the other side of the trade having been completed. At this point, the counterparty impersonated Tor Bair in a separate channel (with the real Tor not present) and communicated to Brendan Kittredge that funds had been received by SF. Brendan then released $SCRT to the counterparty under the impression that the $USDC had been received correctly, but he did so without first engaging in a voice conversation with Tor - a breach of our policy for OTC escrows. The real Tor noticed the transaction immediately and called Brendan.

After the scammers received the $SCRT, they sent a large portion to Binance to sell. At this time Brendan sought to absorb a large portion of the selling pressure to minimize the price impact by placing personal buy orders on Binance order books while the exchange was contacted to freeze the account. At this time $SCRT was valued around $0.97. While Binance was able to freeze the account, no funds were able to be recovered.

During the panic of the event it was instructed that we should keep this information between Tor, Jordan (SF Director of Operations), and Brendan to avoid further risk until a path forward was decided upon.

The foundation also absorbed some of this selling pressure and bought back the majority of the 200,000 $SCRT, using in part funds secured by the previous OTC deals that were secured at around $2 in February. This means the immediate damage was limited to around $200,000 in stablecoins and that the total potential USD loss was known. These details are being shared in order to show that the event, although unfortunate, was not detrimental to the operations of the Secret Foundation and was mitigated by funds secured from previous OTC engagements. This does not excuse the lapses in judgment and protocol that occurred during this event.

The decision to keep this event directly undisclosed (although it was accounted for in our aggregate public reporting around Foundation holdings) was not in an attempt to cover up anything or “defraud” any party. It was an operational decision partially made to protect the identity and reputation the community member involved (Brendan) and partially because upon learning of other organizations that had been in a similar position, it did not appear to be best practice to conduct a public disclosure. Absent a very good reason to share these sensitive details publicly, we chose not to do so.

We hope this disclosure puts to rest the issue, and we don’t intend to make further comment. This event took place approximately 18 months ago, did not materially impact our operations, and did result in a permanent change to our OTC policies and protocols. We are sorry for having disappointed the community in our handling of the OTC opportunity and in our disclosure. Organizations and individuals in our position of trust and visibility have a responsibility to hold themselves to the highest standard.

Tor Bair
Secret Foundation

8 Likes

Dear all,

I recently received a physical threat that appears to be potentially credible due to my involvement in recent events. This message included private information that is not publicly available, and confirmed that a third party has knowledge of my family’s current physical location. We are currently assessing the credibility of this threat and considering all possible scenarios including manipulation by destructive and uninvested 3rd parties.

For the time being, we have temporarily relocated to the safest place we have access to, and I will be unavailable to speak with anyone for at least the next 24 hours while we conduct further research. Please do not expect any further information to be shared privately or publicly, except to confirm our safety.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
Node Father

1 Like

To be extremely clear - this is the first time I have heard ANYTHING about this, and in no way am I or anyone I know of involved in this matter. I don’t know why this is being posted in this thread. I hope you stay safe.

The takeaway from events like this is that sweeping things under the rug (not disclosing publically) does nothing but generate more distrust between the community and the foundation when it comes to light.

That said, better late than never, I suppose.

1 Like

I want to highlight an important point that does not seem to be getting acknowledged: humans should not be used for escrow, period. We have smart contracts for that.

There is absolutely no excuse about why one was not set up, especially for such a large transaction. The “burden” of set up would have been on our side, so claiming that VCs are lazy is no excuse either.

The purpose of this message is not to berate anyone or grovel in hindsight; so let’s just please recognize the error and agree that any and all future transactions requiring escrow will use smart contracts.

5 Likes

This event likely would have required separate presentation under US GAAP. I’m glad the foundation is already exploring more standardized reporting frameworks.

FASB ASC 220-20-45-1: FASB Accounting Standards Codification®

Foundation Q2 2021 Transparency Report: Secret Foundation - Q2 2021.pptx - Google Slides

1 Like

Great idea, emergency Secret Foundation spend proposal to build Secret Escrow. I nominate @tor and @thenodefather to collaborate on this project!

1 Like

Thanks for the disclosure Tor. It makes sense why the transparency of the SF has been lacking over the past year or so. Respect to Jordan for stepping down and moving forward with his career. I believe its time for Tor and Brendan to remove themselves from their posts of leadership within the ecosystem.

Can you let us know what else the Secret Foundation is hiding from the community?

1 Like

Scams are likely going to get even more intricate. This was an expensive mistake that was caused by human error, but in light of everything going on, could have been much worse.

Decisions were made in a time of panic and we quickly hit ATH shortly after, so I can understand the rationale to continue operations as normal. However, these are times when community trust can be earned through transparency. I’m not sure how I would have acted in the same position.

Glad this is behind us and we can move forward with new policies and better processes that can prevent incidents like this in the future.

1 Like

It seemed like a tricky spot , fucked if you do fucked if you don’t… I think personally they made the right move at the start by keeping it on the downlow , legit villain scam win. Shit happens. Anything after not being disclosed was more then likely out of embarrassment.

Now going forward I see no harm in disclosing more information on how a fake VC operates… Im curious to know, was it a certain way he/she tied their tie that made you comfortable doing business with them.

Was it her perfume, was is a male, did you meet irl? Can I have a name to peek a boo into?

The sad part is that this “scam” was not intricate at all! It was on the same level of someone getting phished on Telegram by a bad actor impersonating a mod’s account. The Foundation’s handling of an OTC deal of such high value is crazy to me. This was not some kind of complex operation, they managed to get swindled in a way that newcomers to the space are first warned about. Shameful. I really hope a qualified third party is able to properly audit the Foundation. They have proven themselves inept & untrustworthy.

3 Likes

During early 2021, community member Brendan Kittredge (a committee lead and long-time contributor) introduced the Foundation to numerous counterparties

Brendan then released $SCRT to the counterparty under the impression that the $USDC had been received correctly

Yet you say

The Foundation’s handling of an OTC deal of such high value is crazy to me. This was not some kind of complex operation, they managed to get swindled in a way that newcomers to the space are first warned about. Shameful. I really hope a qualified third party is able to properly audit the Foundation. They have proven themselves inept & untrustworthy.

It sounds like you are pointing fingers in the wrong direction

As an update to this thread, there are concerns regarding the transparency and honesty of the foundation in relation to certain other hidden events and material information that was missing from prior transparency reports. As a result, myself and other community members are exploring the possibility of pursuing a class action lawsuit against Tor for potential fraud against the network. I would like to remind all parties involved that any prior or future attempts to suppress our legal right to seek justice may result in legal liability for individuals who are suppressing this information. Please note that the situation is still developing and the possibility of Tor being transparent about these issues may impact the decision of some to move forward with the class action lawsuit. I cannot know for sure as I cannot speak for all interested parties and many are still unaware of what has transpired in this thread and elsewhere.