A potential suggestion for regaining community trust

So, at least on the technical side, I know a lot of people are more than a bit stunned (and have been in the past) by the speed of changes in dev progress – it often seems like stuff changes and we only find out about it months later, or we’re told up to a deadline that the team’s on track to make it and then only later do we find that oh, whoops, deadline wasn’t met or features are missing/broken – so, idea. Publish an explorer for your jira/burndown charts. Let us see your actual progress towards release, as it happens.

1 Like

We’re looking into better ways of doing it. Frankly we have several tools and timezones at the company so things are rather localized - making this more effort than is realistic.

That said, our plan is to share things much more frequently, in smaller doses. The fact is that things do move fast, and change frequently, and I agree the best way to keep the community apprised is to not wait until we have certainty before sharing. Instead, we’ll share our progress and thought process more actively.

1 Like

The fact that you’re really distributed is why I assumed you would have some sort of centralized burndown/jira setup, honestly – I can’t imagine how you’d be sure to meet deadlines with any kind of certainty otherwise!
Frequent sharing is def a step – what I’d really want is something like this-Victor presumably has some way of seeing at-a-glance prog-towards-deadlines? Show us that! (If that’s not true, after 3 years of dev, I have…other concerns)

for instance, I sincerely hope (and for some subteams, know for a fact) that the meaningless ‘total commits’ metric wasn’t what was being used internally to measure progress, and would prefer in the future that that not be what we’re shown

1 Like