SecretNode Genesis Questions

Hi all,

I am wanting to run for genesis. However I have a few questions…

Other than SGX enabled HW, are there any other requirements posted yet? Minimum RAM / Bandwidth / Minimum Uplink / IPTransit connectivity (1GBIT) etc?

Are there any infrastructure topologies that Enigma wants secret nodes to abide by at this stage? For example, 4x Seednodes with connectivity through wireguard back to Secretnode?

Could secretnodes be run in parallel? Running a primary and a secondary secretnode for failover purposes? (Exchanging PK to secondary after primary goes down).

In my opinion, a good Genesis candidate will not be one which is running in a home or residential environment, simply for redundancy reasons (power & lower SLA on ISP side for connectivity).

I will be running from a datacenter (haven’t picked a location yet, depends on requirements). However Ideally I will be choosing something in North America.

Hi dbriggsie,
I should link the SecretNode doc but I’ll summarize instead.
You would like to run a genesis node: There will be 50 genesis nodes. Top 30 holders of ENG get to run a node if they want to. Even if some of them choose not to run genesis nodes, the bar for that group is going to be pretty high. The lowest stack of tokens among the top 30 holders is around 500K. The next 10 nodes go to white listed developer groups making useful tooling or dApps for Enigma. The final 10 Genesis nodes will go to randomly selected people holding at least 25K tokens.

I’m not a team member or ambassador but to my understanding, running redundant nodes is not necessary. The worker will not be penalized for unintentional outages while running a node in good faith. No slashing for outages. You will miss out on fees while your system reboots after a power outage but this can be avoided with a good UPS. I have Gigabit internet with FIOS. I hope that will be enough. I do plan on running this from home rather than co-locating.

Workers are selected to process work based on stake and maybe reliability and maybe some reputation metric so the higher your stake, the more likely your worker is to be selected to do work and earn fees. Work is completed during a time period called an epoch. A fast computer with good bandwidth may be able to process multiple jobs during an epoch so it ends up being a situation where it pays to have a stronger setup. That should serve as incentive for people to build good rigs with good bandwidth.

Some will set up at home at first. I know that’s my plan. Until I see how the economics of it are working out, I can’t justify the monthly fees for a cloud service.
Channel

Hi Channel,

Yes I have read and understand the information thats currently out regarding Genesis nodes.

I will only have the minimum 25K ENG amount, therefor will be striving to win a seat in the “10 randomly selected people”.

My above questions are regarding specific node resource requirements.

I find it interesting that there are no penalties for going offline as a genesis node… I am a strong believer in availability. Just because there are no penalties for downtime doesn’t mean any genesis should use this as an excuse not to have redundancy built into their node architecture.

Perhaps, if one is running a non worker node then downtime shouldn’t be much of an issue.
Genesis nodes should be a little more strict and proactive, its good practice and would translate over to the main-net once ENG does finally move away from ETH to run its own main-net.

I understand most will give a test drive at home in their labs, I’d probably do the same thing if I could. I have been apart of other chain testnet launches before their main-net launches and am keen to step up for this one. Hopefully ENG team can output some nice stress test transactions over the chain to really push genesis workers systems to their resource limits during testnet.

Still awaiting some firm hardware & resource information from Enigma Team

Where was it announced that 10 nodes would be randomly chosen? I thought all 50 were to be chosen at random.

All details are found in the blog post: https://blog.enigma.co/secret-nodes-part-3-rewards-requirements-and-the-genesis-game-cfbe81dad455