Proportional Staking Rewards to Promote Decentralization

UPDATE: Ok, apparently the idea as presented is a nonstarter but can we use this thread to discuss ideas for decentralizing voting power?

The below idea is in the interest of maximizing decentralization organically.

I’d like to put forward the idea of recalculating staking rewards to be based on some weighted proportion by validator size (smallest relative to largest active validators). The smaller the validator the larger the reward and vice versa. Obviously staking rewards would not be directly proportional to validator size, but weighted enough to add an incentive to backing smaller validators; this weighting is also up for discussion. The total staking rewards would not change. Since I’m no expert and just throwing out the idea I’d like to put forward the following questions:

Technical: Is this technically feasible? What technical challenges would a change like this present?

General Reception: How do average users feel about this idea? How do validators feel about this idea?

Implications: What consequences or implications come from a change like this? Negative impacts? Are there other benefits?

2 Likes

Valid points. I’m only proposing this to decentralize voting power. I guess this could be a brainstorm thread about that instead of a specific proposition?

@SlyStone Evidently you have overlooked a key technical factor - hence your questions … so i’ll try to explain simply…
Running and maintaining of validator node equipment is no easy task even with automation. Equipment is costly and the time needed to invest in operating an outstanding validator cluster is lengthy.
Technically speaking from a validators standpoint the goal posts keep shifting with more and more contracts being launched and utilized. We are constantly adding more and more hardware/servers to our validator clusters to cope with the next big wave of traffic. (This hardware and labor is not free)

What you are proposing here I find counter productive for the network from a performance and redundancy standpoint.

Your model operates by the following analogy:
Its like Amazon Prime shifting its payment protocol to reward transport company investors highly that only operate with 1 delivery van…
What happens? … it increases the Parcel load onto that 1 delivery van…
That 1 Delivery van in no theoretical or practical sense could ever have enough room to carry the amount of packages that amazon requires to be delivered and would buckle under the load. Plus it would be unable to deliver packages in time.

I hope this helps you put this thread to rest :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Dan

2 Likes

Have to agree with @anon60841010 and @dbriggsie.

Cant agree to this proposal I believe their is long thread discussion on this on the cosmos forms and why this was rejected.

1 Like