DISCUSS: Network Issues w/ Shade Airdrop - 2/21/22

I would have been fine with 5m as well but the proposal is already submitted for 6m https://secretnodes.com/secret/chains/secret-4/governance/proposals/80. I don’t think the 1m will make THAT much of a difference but I’m fine with admitting that this is 100% speculation

Yeah, it really is a trial and error process to zero in on what is too high. Since it is such a simple thing to change, though, trial and error doesn’t really hurt other than the 7-day wait times

2 Likes

Its hard to guess how much difference there is between 5 mill and 6 mill, but that is right around the area where we start seeing a large number of nodes starting to struggle. So it could be significant if that 1 mill increase is right at the max capabilities of a large number of nodes

1 Like

Yeah it’s difficult to predict, if 6M is too high we can just step down to 5M or 5.5M.

Has anyone looked at a potential correlation between blocktime, gas in the block and number of validators missing the block? Could help us narrow down what we should be aiming for.

I might spend a little time today/tomorrow adding a “total” row to the blocks page on secretnodes.com so we can see total gas for each block

1 Like

(Clicked reply on the wrong message)

True, an app that is launching can rate limit itself, but the right gas limit is a rate limit that the network is able to enforce. So like if two apps had launch windows at the same time, even though they both might rate limit as much as they think is acceptable for their product, the network can still crumble if the gas limit is too high. But with the right gas limit, it can handle both apps even if they aren’t team players

1 Like