DISCUSS: Network Issues w/ Shade Airdrop - 2/21/22

First the good news…the lowered gas limit appears to have had a stabilizing effect as we were hoping
Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 4.10.22 AM

The beginning of the flat-lining at the end corresponds exactly with the parameter change going into effect

But I think 4 mill might end up being too low. I forgot that the cost of a compute store tx did not go down with supernova like the cost of a compute execute tx did, so we are likely going to see contracts that use permits, and especially ones that build off of snip20s and snip721s requiring more than 4 mill gas to store. Snip721 in particular is pretty large to begin with, although projects could shave off functions they don’t need like Reveal, SetMinters, functions that are redundant and only there for strict cw-721 compliance, etc… (They’d definitely get it under 4 mill by removing permits, but I don’t think that is a viable option.)

But depending on how complicated their use case, they might be adding even more than what they are shaving. So I’m wondering if we actually need to have the limit at 5 mill. I guess another alternative would be to apply similar gas savings to compute store txs as was done with other txs, but that might not be feasible or worth the work if we think a bump up to 5 mill would still give us noticeable block time stability (although likely somewhat higher times than what we are currently seeing). Unfortunately it’s hard to really guess if any current projects need even more than 5 mill to store, so it might be worth trying to get some input from them too

3 Likes