Recap of Governance call from April 6th, 2021

1. One of the first things discussed on the call was what specific details the community would like to see from a Secret Foundation transparency report. Some items included:

-Any sales of SCRT to VCs.
-The foundation at times makes contracts in terms of SCRT. As USD prices rise and fall, will the foundation renegotiate these contracts and how often?
-Why is the foundation no longer running as a non-profit?
-How much funding in USD will the foundation need each year to accomplish its goals?

1. Concerns were made that in the future larger entities such as exchanges may run their own nodes and control a large block of voting power. Other chains have had a problem of large blocks such as these not voting or participating in governance. How can the community head off this hypothetical problem now before it becomes an actual problem later? Can the foundation help us solve this? In what capacity?

2. How should we choose leads for the governance committee? Should we have permanent leads or should they be rotated and how often? Should governance leads be compensated? If so, some believe the compensation should not come from the foundation. Some have suggested compensating leads or governance expenses via a community proposal.

3. How often should we hold governance calls? Weekly, every two weeks or monthly?

4. We discussed what norms we would like to encourage around different types of community proposals. Opinions varied widely between having discussions about proposals on the forums vs voice calls vs telegram and discord rooms. Some people thought all channels had their merits. There was a concern that using forums owned by Enigma or the foundation created a conflict of interest and a suggestion was made to create an independent governance forum on another site.

If I missed anything important, please let us know below. Please let us know when you think we should have the next governance meeting. I only led the call last time because no one else seemed ready to do it so if anyone feels like leading next time give me a shout.

4 Likes

For Transparency purposes:

Today I learned that an alternate set of notes was removed from this post by Ian. As far as I can tell, he removed it because he felt part of the foundation was trying to reframe what was discussed during the voice call meeting.

1 Like