dApp idea share thread

Someone in the telegram chat had an idea to create a place where anyone could propose dApp ideas for interested devs to jump on and create. Here’s a thread where we can brainstorm ideas. I’ll go first:

A secret contract acting as wills that execute automatically and distribute someone’s crypto holdings to their family in case they pass away or are unable to access their crypto. Certainly lots of BTC are locked forever on the blockchain from people who passed away. If we had a secret contract to read a database of death certificates, or had some other type of dead-man-switch, it could ensure that crypto holdings aren’t lost forever if someone passes away or otherwise incapacitated. Rather than be stuck forever on a blockchain they can instead distributed to someone they trust.

It would need to be a secret contract to protect the people included in the contract.

Any other ideas for useful dApps?

2 Likes

@Zed great idea! Regarding the will / dead man switch, you can create a secret contract that checks whether a TX occurred in a given time frame (1 years of blocks) and move the funds to an address if there’s no TXs or whatever defined rules. Would be much easier to go to death certificates and do identity checks on ppl :slight_smile:

Someone here mentioned that they were interested in starting a genomics company around Enigma. Since genetic information will be something an individual would want to keep out of the hands of insurance companies and employers, I could imagine a secret contract that identifies important genetic markers for disease and preexisting conditions, but allows the user to keep their information encrypted so that they are able to control who accesses it.

2 Likes

agreed, the problem is data owner (actual patient) and data collector (companies like 23&me) are different stakeholders with different incentives. This divergence in incentives makes this idea very hard from a bizdev perspective

I think it would be cool if someone gamified a staking pool. Let’s say a gaming company ran a staking pool. The capital would come from someone paying a one time subscription of 20 dollars. Anyone who plays the game allows their computer to act as a worker in the background. If you win some in-game prize (like a chest of gold in WoW), it can be translated back into real money. The better you are at the game, the larger a percentage of node incentives you win. Maybe this game would allow people to level up. But once your character withdraws any money, they go back to level 1.

Might be fun.

2 Likes

hey guys, we have (or are just about to) launch our testnet of a new dApp idea we have been working on for the last few months. Inspired by Cryptokitties, we have created a racehorse manager called ZED. You can buy, sell, breed and race on the blockchain. For the time being however, we are releasing a limited amount of horses before launching the marketplace (buy/zell), the stud farm (breeding) and then racing.

The aim is to make this more a serious dApp that potentially can convert over non-crypto users.

Head over to www.zed.run and user invite code: crypto_zed_invite

We are testing on the Ropsten Network only!

@Cardiff this would be a traditional game or are you imaging an on-chain gaming experience? cc @ainsley

I’m not really sure. I don’t know what the pros and cons of each would be.

How does the race take place? I.e., how are winners decided? I assume there’s some element of horse attributes that affect the outcome, as well as some degree of randomness. This seems like the benefit to doing it on-chain is lowered risk of house manipulation. cc @rob

Hey @ainsley you are correct. There are horse attributes we take into consideration such as:

• bloodline (there are 4 types in the game, each with varying strengths)
  • genotype
  • past performance
  • past performance of offspring
  • race starts
  • the gate the horse starts from

…as well an element of randomness too.

Races will take place via a lottery style system. For example, horses will be chosen at random and entered into races; the idea was this was to get the user coming back to the platform. During the races the idea is to timestamp horse positions at certain moments in the race to show that manipulation cannot take place.

I have been using Maker DAI a lot recently to buy and store stable coins, but I’m a little uneasy about anyone in the world seeing how many stable coins I am working with. Would be awesome if a dev could create an encrypted version of Maker’s DAI such that I can create or buy DAI style stable coins that are automatically mixed such that the entire world doesn’t have access to how many stable coins I hold. Sure I could do this myself through using coin mixers and such, but with Enigma’s functionality, why not automate the process? Please and thank you! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

After Enigma mainnet launches, could existing Ethereum apps simply port their code onto the Enigma network? Hence making inputs encrypted by default for users who aim utilize privacy by default for all their dApp needs?

@Zed, Enigma secret contract language is Rust for stateful smart contracts (with Discovery release). While the network will support Solidity contracts, it will only be for stateless computations

@Zed, regarding Maker DAI,

The unique aspect of Maker is a set of smart contracts that uses collateralization (ETH -> DAI) in order to create a completely decentralized stable coin. Technically speaking one could create these contracts on Enigma network and send in the collateral amount anonymously using Enigma network.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at smart contracts for a pooling dApp for ENG so as to allow small fish who don’t have 500K ENG to participate in the first round as secret nodes with the big fish and earn block rewards and fees too. I came to the realization that a group wallet would be necessary for ENG team to consider it as one of the top 30. The problem with that is that since the contracts are public, the wallet details would be too. If I want trustless, I would need to have it completely out of my hands and run by the contract so I’m stuck. Maybe an Enigma Secret contract could do this.

Moonstash, Good points. Thank you. I doubt I could figure all of that out in time and secret contracts are not really available till test-net launch anyway are they?
However…
As a dApp that could improve the odds of getting workers selected, does this make sense.
Assuming I am willing to put my tokens into a pool with others who have few tokens, pay for 5 nines uptime on some cloud server, and pay for audits, could we push our little centralized wallet up the queue to the point where it wins the lottery every time? If so and if successful, wouldn’t this drive others to do the same pooling into bigger and bigger pools till there is only one? Scary looking future for a system that’s supposed to be decentralized.
Just musing.
Channel

1 Like

Makes sense. Otherwise, even with moderate consolidation, we end up with a liquidity crisis and too few workers.
I guess a cap on pools should also apply to whales but that gets complicated. It would be a lot better to have a maximum stake so that anyone over that stake has an equal opportunity to be selected as a worker. That max stake could be used to counteract the consolidation effect.

You can have a proxy contract on ethereum to pool funds in a trustless way, but the participants information will be public (i.e. who’s pooling in and how much)

Are there any Events that the secret contracts emit? Is there maybe a substitute tech to accomplish that?

1 Like