Slash SEFI tokens of those that regularly abstain from voting

SEFI is first and foremost a governance token. Looking at the number of propositions that failed to make quorum, a slashing penalty for frequent abstainers holding large amounts of SEFI should be implemented. I’m not talking about severe slashing, maybe 0.01% or so if you fail to vote on at least 25% of the proposals. This will help encourage participation a by penalizing those that don’t participate and reward those that do by increasing the value of SEFI through the reduction of available tokens.

1 Like

I forgot to mention, by large amounts I’m thinking of anyone that holds say more tham 1% of the staked supply.

I don’t support this. It’s just going to incentivize people to create auto vote scripts and whose to say a auto vote of yes or no will be good or bad. This is a flawed plan.

3 Likes

This would be easily avoided by just using multiple wallets.

1 Like

How often would it check the 25%? When would the genesis begin? I think this would be difficult to implement and potentially set a dangerous precedent, even though the slash would be small. I understand the goal to incentivize voting which is good and fair. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Other methods I’ve heard floated around were lockups to write a proposal, and if quorum is reached the proposer gets their tokens back, and if it isn’t, they’re distributed amongst those who DID vote. Again this would be difficult and could lead to less involvement in proposing, but could filter out poorly written proposals which is likely what has led to lack of quorum and involvement.

1 Like

Not voting is an action in itself, bad idea imo.

3 Likes

The fact that this is even being discussed makes me want to sell all of my sefi.

1 Like

mumuse, It’s a yes or no question, either you like a proposal or you don’t. Why hold governance tokens if you’re not going to vote? I only have 36 SEFI and I vote on every proposal that I find out about in time. If there was a notification system that always told you about proposals up for vote with enough time to vote on them I’d like to see 100% abstains slashed, but I knew that would never fly.

It’s a yes or no question,

Provided you decided to vote.

Why hold governance tokens if you’re not going to vote?

Maybe you only care about certain kinds of proposals. Trying to establish a threshold of voting is an authoritarian slippery slope.

I only have 36 SEFI and I vote on every proposal that I find out about in time.

Congratulations.

1 Like

Maybe you only care about certain kinds of proposals. Trying to establish a threshold of voting is an authoritarian slippery slope.

or the person doesn’t actually care about the objectives of the network and is just trying to make a buck. The reason why we have bad governments is because of low voter turnout, exactly what authoritarian regimes try to achieve every election cycle. But I don’t want to get into a philosophical pissing match. If no one thinks its a good idea, I will defer to the majority.