Infrastructure Committee Charter

Secret Infrastructure Committee Charter


The Secret infrastructure Committee conducts research, maintains network infrastructure such as testnet and api’s, and creates documentation & essential resources for node runners on the Secret Network, for the benefit of all network participants.

Decision Domains

∙ The scope of Secret Infrastructure is to ensure smooth operations of Secret Network public infrastructure (node runner stability, community api, quicksync, and potentially more).
∙ Secret Infrastructure brings scope modifications and requests for funding to other committee leads first for review, then to the forums, then directly to the chain.


Secret Infrastructure considers topics related to network performance and essential network infrastructure to be main areas of focus for which IT is the functional owner, including but not limited to:

∙ Documentation helpful to node runners on the Secret Network (such as how to setup on different providers, how to setup api endpoints, useful linux guides, etc.)
∙ Community API
∙ Providing quicksync or snapshot downloads, scripts, or instructions
∙ Conduct research on different secretd binaries. Example: different db backend and tweaked parameters.


Secret Infrastructure membership is designed to be representative of Secret Networks IT leadership. Entry can happen with approval of all members, assistance is open to all. Removal can only happen with approval of at least one infrastructure member and (global) committee leads. Only members are responsible for deliverables.


@moonstash @mohammedpatla


∙ 1,500 SCRT monthly (15 hours per week) moonstash
∙ 500 SCRT monthly (5 hours per week) @mohammedpatla

Current prices (May 14th, 2021) $2.88 (moonstash)

Discretionary Budget:

∙ 5,000 SCRT

This is a one time allocation until/unless there is a need for more resources. This need will be determined by the technical (global) leads.

Exclusively for buying and testing hardware, testing vps providers, api maintence, and misc infrastructure related expenses. Additionally, payments can be made to contributors of Infrastructure committee who are adding value, but who chose not to purse the responsibilities of a lead. Approval for spends requires majority approval from (global technical) committee leads & infrastructure members.


∙ Meeting frequency – Twice per month. The Committee will determine modifications to the meeting schedule as needed based on current activities.
∙ Time Commitment – In addition to the scheduled meetings, members can expect to spend 15 hours per week working on infrastructure tasks.
∙ Meeting structure – Members will collect agenda items and circulate agendas in advance of each meeting to all committee leads and public to ensure informed discussion of scheduled topics.
∙ Reporting – We will report directly to the other committee leads through committee lead calls to report on all activities, then ultimately through the Secret Network Forums.
∙ Documentation of proceedings – All meetings will have notes of discussions, recommendations, and action items.
∙ Sub‐Committees/Working Groups – Additional ad hoc sub‐committees or working groups may be established to work on specific projects or topics as needed.
∙ Committee Support – Secret Infrastructure will provide infrastructure and related documentation support as needed to the other committees and the public.

Work and Research Examples

  • Testing different db backends for secretd.
  • Testing and deploying Secret Network forks with faster & slower blocktimes.
  • Testing and documenting different approaching to infrastructure architecture and deployment.
  • Node security best practices documented and fleshed out.
  • Node and infrastructure monitoring and best practices documented.
  • Maintaining other network infrastructure such as but potentially not limited to maintaining the community explorer (not currently included in the budget use to any degree)


  • Secretwiki: Dedicated documentation site with all current node related guides refreshed and improved. Includes, instructions for setting up on several available VPS providers, setting up physical hardware, instructions on different architectures for node running.
  • Community API: load balanced API to augment available options and add redundancy to the network. This would be load balanced stock tendermint RPC and LCD endpoints.


  • Any hardware purchased must be utilized for the benefit of the whole secret network community, not just a lead or the committee. So any tested hardware that works should be repurposed after testing for use as API endpoint or something else that is infrastructure related with approval from majority of global technical committee leads.
  • All leads have equal access to discretionary budget use, upon approval of a majority of technical committee leads. (Gmail/superfish @the-dusky, myself, and @mohammedpatla )

With these guidelines as a basis, the Secret Infrastructure will determine its need for other operational procedures.

Edits: Added compensation and budgets.
Edits 2: Dan backed out of role. He has option of joining later, or starting a testnet committee.
Edits 3: Expanded scope based on feedback from global technical committee leads.
Edits 4: New colead + hardware clauses.
Edits 5: Misc structure and edits + new clause.
Edits 6: Added milestones/specific deliverables.


Sounds good. We should put this in a multisig smart contract. For trustless transparency.

The approach all the committees are taking is that it would be for 3 months and will not use multisig. This was a compromise/adjustment from 6 months of funding at a time. People who do not prove to be responsible will have a difficult time getting more funding. I do not plan to fill a discretionary budget and deplete it every 3 months, and use of it requires approval from 2 of 3 leads (taking the technical leads that exist today).

1 Like

Examples of research and work the Infrastructure Committee will conduct/be responsible for.

  • Testing different db backends for secretd.
  • Testing and deploying Secret Network forks with faster blocktimes. (Warp chain👀)
  • Testing and documenting different approaching to infrastructure architecture and deployment.
  • Node security best practices documented and fleshed out.
  • Node and infrastructure monitoring and best practices documented.
  • Maintaining other network infrastructure such as but potentially not limited to maintaining the community explorer (not currently included in the budget use to any degree)

Hey @moonstash,

I am interested in being co-lead for the infrastructure committee.

My ask for this is as follows:

  1. I would do upto 20 hours per month (5hrs per week) for 500 SCRT.
  2. I would like to test hardware and get to keep it after proper documentation and testing for the network or refund for other similar SGX hardware where applicable.

Also on a side note perhaps increase the Discretionary Budget to - 5,000 SCRT for some hardware spending leeway (With dollar price fluctuations plus conversion costs)?



Everything you said sounds super reasonable and I take no issue with it.

So here is how it would stand.

  • You would be 5 hours per week, 20 hours per month. 500 SCRT per month.
  • We would both be able to independently test hardware or VPS providers (paid for by discretionary budget) and contribute to documentation.
  • We would increase the discretionary budget from 3500 SCRT to 5000 SCRT.

This all works for me. I’m excited, securesecrets and secretnodes make for an interesting duo working on infrastructure! :smiley:

1 Like

The community feedback in Telegram: Contact @secretgovernance has indicated an interest in making sure any hardware purchased goes to benefit the community instead of leads personally. So I will be adding that clause to the charter and the updates of Mohammed being a colead.


Based on feedback we will be adjusting the charter to have clear milestones and deliverables for each 3 month funding period. The approach will be to define the initial deliverables/milestones, and require they are completed for the first 3 months to be measured as a success. These will be related to the defined scope of the committee.

1 Like

Another example of research and work the Infrastructure Committee will conduct/be responsible for.

  • Researching and deploying high performant ipfs clusters for secret apps
  • Maintain ghost blog backend for secret network site.

Hello Agents!

The first infrastructure call to occur after the proposal passed, will be held on discord in the infrastructure voice channel on June 1st 2021 @ 12pm PDT / 3pm EDT

We will be doing a kickoff call to go over our documentation efforts.

Notes from @mohammedpatla

Infrastructure Call June 1st, 2021:

  • Documentation Ported over at
    • Ported most of the Documentation.
    • Archived Node Documentation.
    • Sentry Node Documentation (To be updated).
    • Backups are separated.
    • Hardware compliance information.
    • Active Node for Peers
    • Quicksync
  • VPS Recommendation and Testing
    • nforce VPS
    • Leaseweb VPS
    • Psychz VPS
    • Find other VPS options based on dell r240 and other compatible hardware.
  • Node Public Peer
  • QuickSync:
  • Loadbalancing - Enigma’s Solution
  • Roadmap for infrastructure committee mirroring on the forums.

Next call will be held Tuesday June 15th, 2021 at 12pm PDT in the infrastructure channel on discord

1 Like

For anyone who wants to use or track these updates they can visit the new docs site at once we are done porting over, we will redirect the old links (learn and build) to the new docs. Anyone is free to contribute to these docs located in the Secret Foundation repo GitHub - SecretFoundation/docs

So far a more detailed list of updates is as follows.

  • Added archive node guide.
  • Detailed step by step for basic Sentry Node Architecture.
  • Cleaned up SGX install guide to be specific for node runners, added an sgx install script option, updated sgx script to account for latest sgx versions and OS options.
  • Added all known working hardware to hardware compatibility page. Need to detail this more still.
  • Added quick sync information provided by Dan.
  • Begun work on VPS compliance doc.

What is being worked on this week / next week (3rd - 12th)

  1. Prepare a bootstrap / seed node publicly available so new nodes can join the network with the available peer.
  2. Test automatic quicksync tool, or otherwise explore getting automatic quick sync working on Secret Network.
  3. VPS testing and documenting will start. With @mohammedpatla
  4. Some will just be getting started on community API. Possibly might go into the following week.

June 15, 2021 Infrastructure Call


  • @mohammedpatla has finished with testing nforce and will be updating the docs with a how to.
  • Infrastructure committee deployed a dedicated box for load balancing api endpoints.
  • Begun testing multi node deployments on single hosts with premium SSDs. Previously ran into issues with lower quality SSDs.

To do for next call.

  • Setup a node to add to the docs so users have a long lasting peer to get on the network. Using something like
  • Test auto network snapshots for quicksync offering.

We have purchased the first components needed for the community API.

Community API Secret Node

Create a community api “super node” that houses as many archive nodes as possible for use with API endpoints. This would be a load balanced api cluster of rpc & lcd endpoints for dapps built on the secret network to use.


  1. Instead of charging each dapp for use, this is paid for by the community pool.
  2. This takes load off the other api endpoints, thus increasing total network capacity for users of dapps on the network.

The Community API Beta is up.

LCD (uses https)

RPC (must use port 26657)

Current status
The RPC and LCD are each load balancing over 3 endpoints. comm0, comm1, comm2.

The directory that shows here links to incorrect urls. Though if you are using an application that works with a standard endpoint, it shouldn’t have a problem working with the real links such as,, etc.

Whats next for the API?
I’ll be working to

  1. Tweak the settings to use more endpoints (6-8 total).
  2. Fix the links on the 26657 page.
  3. Add caching

These deliverables have been met. Closing thread in favor of the charter for proposal B

1 Like