Secret Infrastructure Committee Charter
The Secret infrastructure Committee conducts research, maintains network infrastructure such as testnet and api’s, and creates documentation & essential resources for node runners on the Secret Network, for the benefit of all network participants.
∙ The scope of Secret Infrastructure is to ensure smooth operations of Secret Network public infrastructure (node runner stability, community api, quicksync, and potentially more).
∙ Secret Infrastructure brings scope modifications and requests for funding to other committee leads first for review, then to the forums, then directly to the chain.
Secret Infrastructure considers topics related to network performance and essential network infrastructure to be main areas of focus for which IT is the functional owner, including but not limited to:
∙ Documentation helpful to node runners on the Secret Network (such as how to setup on different providers, how to setup api endpoints, useful linux guides, etc.)
∙ Community API
∙ Providing quicksync or snapshot downloads, scripts, or instructions
∙ Conduct research on different secretd binaries. Example: different db backend and tweaked parameters.
Secret Infrastructure membership is designed to be representative of Secret Networks IT leadership. Entry can happen with approval of all members, assistance is open to all. Removal can only happen with approval of at least one infrastructure member and (global) committee leads. Only members are responsible for deliverables.
∙ 1,500 SCRT monthly (15 hours per week) moonstash
∙ 500 SCRT monthly (5 hours per week) @mohammedpatla
Current prices (May 14th, 2021) $2.88 (moonstash)
∙ 5,000 SCRT
This is a one time allocation until/unless there is a need for more resources. This need will be determined by the technical (global) leads.
Exclusively for buying and testing hardware, testing vps providers, api maintence, and misc infrastructure related expenses. Additionally, payments can be made to contributors of Infrastructure committee who are adding value, but who chose not to purse the responsibilities of a lead. Approval for spends requires majority approval from (global technical) committee leads & infrastructure members.
∙ Meeting frequency – Twice per month. The Committee will determine modifications to the meeting schedule as needed based on current activities.
∙ Time Commitment – In addition to the scheduled meetings, members can expect to spend 15 hours per week working on infrastructure tasks.
∙ Meeting structure – Members will collect agenda items and circulate agendas in advance of each meeting to all committee leads and public to ensure informed discussion of scheduled topics.
∙ Reporting – We will report directly to the other committee leads through committee lead calls to report on all activities, then ultimately through the Secret Network Forums.
∙ Documentation of proceedings – All meetings will have notes of discussions, recommendations, and action items.
∙ Sub‐Committees/Working Groups – Additional ad hoc sub‐committees or working groups may be established to work on specific projects or topics as needed.
∙ Committee Support – Secret Infrastructure will provide infrastructure and related documentation support as needed to the other committees and the public.
Work and Research Examples
- Testing different db backends for secretd.
- Testing and deploying Secret Network forks with faster & slower blocktimes.
- Testing and documenting different approaching to infrastructure architecture and deployment.
- Node security best practices documented and fleshed out.
- Node and infrastructure monitoring and best practices documented.
- Maintaining other network infrastructure such as but potentially not limited to maintaining the community explorer secretnodes.com (not currently included in the budget use to any degree)
- Secretwiki: Dedicated documentation site with all current node related guides refreshed and improved. Includes, instructions for setting up on several available VPS providers, setting up physical hardware, instructions on different architectures for node running.
- Community API: load balanced API to augment available options and add redundancy to the network. This would be load balanced stock tendermint RPC and LCD endpoints.
- Any hardware purchased must be utilized for the benefit of the whole secret network community, not just a lead or the committee. So any tested hardware that works should be repurposed after testing for use as API endpoint or something else that is infrastructure related with approval from majority of global technical committee leads.
- All leads have equal access to discretionary budget use, upon approval of a majority of technical committee leads. (Gmail/superfish @the-dusky, myself, and @mohammedpatla )
With these guidelines as a basis, the Secret Infrastructure will determine its need for other operational procedures.
Edits: Added compensation and budgets.
Edits 2: Dan backed out of role. He has option of joining later, or starting a testnet committee.
Edits 3: Expanded scope based on feedback from global technical committee leads.
Edits 4: New colead + hardware clauses.
Edits 5: Misc structure and edits + new clause.
Edits 6: Added milestones/specific deliverables.